SFU Statistical Consulting Service
The Statistical Consulting Service (SCS) is a unit
Statistics Group at
Simon Fraser University.
The SCS was formed in 1980, to promote more effective
links between academic statisticians and applied researchers.
- To provide expert statistical advice to individuals
involved in data-based research projects.
- To promote links between the statistical education
program at SFU and individuals involved in data-based research.
- To improve the quality of both data-based research and the
teaching of graduate students in statistics.
- The SCS has ready access to a variety of modern computing
facilities and software.
- The SCS has a full-time Director, who is a qualified
- All statistical faculty
in the Department of Statistics &
Actuarial Science at SFU contribute to the SCS; their combined
experience includes a full spectrum of statistical application
areas as well as a broad coverage of statistical techniques.
- SCS staff have contacts to other university resources that can
be arranged on a contractual basis.
What can we do for you?
- Design of experiments or surveys.
- Sample size determination.
- Suggest software for statistical analysis.
- Advise on graphical data summaries.
- Suggest inferential techniques when appropriate.
- Assess study protocols in grant applications.
- Advise on quality assurance and reliability methods.
- Offer short courses.
Examples Of completed projects
- Modeling the distribution of pulp fibre length.
- Study of ventilation in humans during exercise.
- Effects of mild anesthesia on the thermoregulatory
response during cold exposure in humans.
- Career profile of women scientists in B.C.
- Parental decision-making for student recruitment into
early French immersion.
- Sediment discharge regimes of B.C. rivers.
- Comparison of diets for salmon nutrition.
- Mark-recapture method of estimating size of a
criminal population from police records.
- Analysis of DNA damage in bladder cells.
What does it cost?
Unfortunately, the service receives no subsidies from the University, Faculty, or
Department and must operate on a full cost-recovery basis.
Task assessment, advice and minor assistance are free; work
resulting in co-authorship is also usually free. Major
assistance is charged at competitive rates. For more detailed
information on costs, call (604) 291-4670.
For more information on our service, please call us at
(604) 291-4670, or by e-mail
at firstname.lastname@example.org (CAUTION - our email address is stat_scs, i.e. there
is an underscore between 'stat' and 'scs'):
or contact us by snail-mail at:
Statistical Consulting Service
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6
SFU Stats & Act. Sci. Home
SFU Math Home
Email comments or suggestions to Carl Schwarz (email@example.com)
Updated 12 November 2001. Copyright 2001 - Department of Statistics
& Actuarial Science, SFU.